The article presents the experience of creating LRE turbopump units by the Rocket Engines Design Office (DO-4) at Yuzhnoye SDO. The best known turbopump units designs developed by DO are described. Both earlier developments of DO and the turbopump unit being now in final testing phase are considered. The design evolution of both separate assemblies and of entire unit is shown. The design evolution allowed increasing the unit’s lifetime dozens times. For example, the lifetime of the first turbopump units developed by DO did not exceed 150 s. Currently, the DO has in stock the engines with lifetime of ~19000 s. The information is presented on the problems that the designers faced in testing the turbopumop unit and the ways to solve them. The unique achievement are presented. At present, there are no analogs of some units in the world. The article presents the information on the latest achievements of DO, such as the face seal on pump vane discs whose use fully excludes unwanted leaks. Having analyzed the data presented, one may conclude that the Rocket Engines Design Office and Yuzhnoye SDO as a whole accumulated sufficient experience and knowledge allowing solving any problems that may arise when developing a new LRE turbopump unit, and successfully operating LRE with turbopump units, including those in the engines with generator gas afterburning created in recent years testify to a great value of accumulated experience.
Key words: : liquid rocket engine, turbopump unit, pump, turbine
1. Centrifugal Pump: Patent 1021816 А, USSR: MPK 7F04D1/00, 7F04D29/04 / Ivanov Y. N., Steblovtsev A. A.; Applicant and patent holder Yuzhnoye State Design Office. No. 3313928/25-06; claimed 06.07.1983, published 07.06.1984.
2. Auger-Centrifugal Pump: Patent 73783, Ukraine: MPK 7F04D29/66 / Ivanov Y. N., Pilipenko V. V., Zadontsev V. A., Drozd V. A.; Applicant and patent holder Yuzhnoye State Design Office. No. 2003021144; claimed 07.02.2003, published 15.09.2005.
3. End Seal. Patent 61082, Ukraine: MPK 7F16J15/34 / Ivanov Y. N., Chetverikova I. M.; Applicant and patent holder Yuzhnoye State Design Office. No. 990311536; claimed 19.03.1999, published 17.11.2003.
4. End Seal of High-Speed Shaft: Patent 48248, Ukraine: MPK F16J15/54, F04D29/10 / Ivanov Y. N., Steblovtsev A. A., Gameberger Y. A., Peredarenko V. M.; Applicant and patent holder Yuzhnoye State Design Office. No. 99031442; claimed 16.03.1999, published 15.08.2002.
5. Centrifugal Pump. Patent 84023, Ukraine: MPK F04D1/00 / Ivanov Y. N., Ivchenko L. F., Deshevykh S. A., Dan’kevich D. S.; Applicant and patent holder Yuzhnoye State Design Office. No. а200601399; claimed 13.02.2006, published 10.09.2008.